Milan to host GSMA NFC & Mobile Money Summit 2012
Milan, Italy is recognized as a world fashion and design capital. But Italy’s cosmopolitan northern city is also being regarded as one of the most technologically innovative destinations in the world. In fact, Milan’s support of NFC technology has been instrumental in Expanding the Power of Mobile Money. For this reason, Milan is a brilliant location for the NFC & Mobile Money Summit 2012.
NFC and the Milan Connection
Since 2008, Milan has partnered with industry leaders to test and debut groundbreaking NFC solutions.
- In 2008, Telecom Italia, teamed up with the city’s municipal transport company, Azienda Trasporti Milanesi (ATM), to launch an NFC transit fare trial. Customers were allowed to access the public transport network and purchase or validate tickets via NFC-enabled cell phone handsets. The trial was expanded in 2010.
- An estimated 10,000 Visa V Pay contactless debit cards were issued by Credito Valtellinese in 2008 as part of a pilot in five cities – including Milan. The two organizations also teamed up for a Milan-based NFC trial in 2009.
- Intesa Sanpaolo is the first bank to commit to a large-scale rollout of the technology in Italy, launching NFC in the Milan area in conjunction with MasterCard and Gemalto.
- In 2012, Nòverca subscribers will have access to mobile contactless payments at 3,000 POS terminals, enabling smartphone users to opt for contactless payments for virtually any of their everyday purchases. This is the first project of its type in Italy.
- Recently, Telecom Italia formed a partnership with Pole SCS, for the development of "innovative" SIM-based NFC solutions. The first connected services will be available in October, 2012.
More about Milan and the Milano Congressi
In addition to being one of Europe’s richest and technologically savvy cities, Milan boasts several historic and artistic attractions including the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, the Last Supper painting, and the famous La Scala Opera House.
Attendees traveling to Milan will also experience the MiCo at the Milano Congressi, located in downtown Milan. With its unique architecture and large exhibition area, the Milano Congressi is the perfect home for the newly expanded NFC & Mobile Money Summit.
Located in northwest Italy, Milan’s two airports make it easily accessible from major cities across the globe. Malpensa is an international airport, and the smaller Linate airport serves flights from Europe and within Italy.
For information on travel and accommodations, click here.